On December 4th the UFC cut Cuban superstar Yoel “Soldier of God” Romero. UFC President Dana White admitted in a press conference that Yoel was one of 60 athletes that will be cut 2021. The UFC isn’t making as much money as they were before, according to Jake Paul. Uncle Dana is constantly talking about how big the roster is so we knew that this day was coning. The names on the list though, do not make sense.
Among those cut include former and current stars along with prospects that didn’t pan out such as:
- John Dodson – Released in September
- Paige Van Zant – Released by UFC and Signed with Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship in August
- Rachael Ostovich – Released in Decembe
- Ricardo Lamas – Retired in September
- Yoel Romero – Released in December
- Ray Borg – Released in August
- Iuri Alcântara – Released in October
- Jussier Formiga – Released in November
- James Vick – Released in October
- Corey Anderson – Released by UFC and Signed with Bellator MMA in August
- Anderson Silva – Released in November
- Austin Springer – Released in September
- Ben Saunders – Released in January
Just to name a few. These fighters were up and coming or stars and the fact te UFC has removed all this money off the books is good for the organization. It’s also good for people like Paige Van Zant can go to Bare Knuckle FC and make bank bro! And of course I’m sure Yoel Romero will require a lot of money that he should get. He’s the biggest star the organization has ever seen, Bigger than Rory Macdonald, Gegar Mousasi, Aaron Pico and Ryan Bader.
Will Bellator make money on Yoel Romero? Abso-frickin-lutely. It will come with scrutiny because in my inexperienced opinion, I think The Soldier of God will run through their entire Light Heavy weight class including Rumble Johnson, who hasn’t fought since his loss to Daniel Cormier in 2017.
Yoel hasn’t looked great in his last few fights but also I think his performances vs Robert Whitaker and Paulo Costa were good. I thought he won vs Costa and up until his release, Romero decided to move up to Light Heavy weight where he was offered a fight vs Johnny Walker. “They came back with an offer for us to fight Johnny Walker at 205,” Romero said. He wanted a fight vs a higher ranked oppnent like Dominick Reyes or Glover Teixeira. UFC refused and cut the high profiled fighter.
This is the best move for the 43 yr old monster. How much longer can he fight? How long will he be able to last against the young and upcoming killers. There’s no doubt that Yoel is a freak of nature, we’ve never seen someone with his genetic form.
Please Like and Subscribe to our Spotify and YouTube pages for more content.